6 REPLIES
digitalmouse
Navigator

Re: Ar 2 drone lost out of range

The default battery only lasts roughly 10 minutes max, and the drone can hussle along easily at 3-4 meters per second by default.  So with some 'off the hip' calculations, that's 1800-2400 meters (1.8-2.4 km) of potential range, assuming it got high enough not to hit anything.  If it was windy, add about 1km to either side of it's last known bearing.  That will give you roughly a 2-3 square kilometer area to search in.  As mentioned before, look carefully as its dark body can be easily hidden in trees or bushes, around corners, under cars, on roofs, etc.

Might also be worthwhile posting "drone lost - small reward" signs with a photo of the drone in the surrounding 3 km radius.  If you get it back, then you have spare parts! Smiley Happy

OhDang
Explorer

Update on situation after contacting parrot support and supplying relevant video, information and remaining parts from my package Parrot has replaced my drone. As a result I encourage anyone that has a legitimate fault with their drone to contact parrot support for assistance.

richardsmart
Explorer

A controlled hover is what it is supposed to do, but I have had similar experience with mine. luckily mine just crashed into a tree so cut out and fell to the floor.  

Island_Bob
Commander Pilot

OhDang wrote:

Thanks for the reply, unfortunately it did not hover it kept flying away I've searched the area where I lost contact and up to two kilometres away in the direction it was heading ( I'm in a rural area with lots of open paddocks ) without finding it before dark set in . Now it's morning and raining so I fear the drone is history 😕

Don't give up! If it went down with a dead battery, the rain won't really damage anything - you'll just have to open it up and dry the heck out of it to get it running again.

You'd be amazed at how hard an AR Drone is to see in a tree canopy. Look again and look up. I've found binoculars helpful. And if it lands in weeds? You can walk right by it without ever seeing it. I once landed a drone in a 10' X 10' patch of weeds (3-4' deep) and it took 20 minutes to find! Persistance might pay off.

OhDang
Explorer

Thanks for the reply, unfortunately it did not hover it kept flying away I've searched the area where I lost contact and up to two kilometres away in the direction it was heading ( I'm in a rural area with lots of open paddocks ) without finding it before dark set in . Now it's morning and raining so I fear the drone is history 😕

Island_Bob
Commander Pilot
Solution

OhDang wrote:

My new ar 2 power edition drone got caught in an updraft (I'm guessing) and flew out of range after only 1 min 30 secs of a new battery, I lost sight of it moving closer to regain control and I'm wondering whether it lands after a short period of lost connection or keeps flying until low battery ... knowing how long it flew will assist in recovery of my lost drone 

It stops and hovers in place until it re-gains a wifi connection.  When the battery finally gets low it does a controlled landing right where it was hovering.

Highlighted
OhDang
Explorer

Ar 2 drone lost out of range

My new ar 2 power edition drone got caught in an updraft (I'm guessing) and flew out of range after only 1 min 30 secs of a new battery, I lost sight of it moving closer to regain control and I'm wondering whether it lands after a short period of lost connection or keeps flying until low battery ... knowing how long it flew will assist in recovery of my lost drone