9 REPLIES
webvan
Senior Pilot

Re: FreeFlight 3 and Ar Parrot 2

Thanks for the info, I'll try to find some time to test out QGC Android on the field. Will have to use a table probably though because on my 5" Moto G3 it's hard to use the interface properly.

Highlighted
julianp
Master navigator

Actually that was my first time I came across QGC. I should've come back on that remark, "QGC Android not working properly".
I haven't tested QGC Android out on the field.
It connects to the drone, gets the waypoins data which are already on the drone. However, it's a QGC version 2 ported to Android. I found the same error messages as in QGC v2 for Windows etc, no general or advanced parameters (flight radius, max alt etc) are pulled from the AR drone for viewing and editing (don't know why) like in QGC v1. I've seeen some posts somewhere about those error messages in QGC v2 and it seems we should not worry about them as they pop up due to reduced MAV link support in AR Drone 2. Cannot comment too much on that. You can find more info on QGroundControl Google Group, drone-forum.com and YouTube (at least these are the sources I've studied to learn more abt QGroundControl and AR Drone 2).

https://www.drone-forum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=89&t=8705&sid=1a5d5b9887ba6dac57a542069b6e...

Only one remark on QGroundControl v1. There is one bug in setting the Home location. The only way I could set it was by editing it under the [QGC_UASMANAGER] tab in C:\Users\{user}\AppData\Roaming\QGroundControl\qgroundcontrol.ini (Windows 7). I don't actually use the Home location, but it's nice to have it there on the map.

J.
webvan
Senior Pilot

Thanks I was able to sign up for the beta  and after a few minutes the download link became active (some type of manual validation maybe ?)

I see you said the Android version didn't work properly? What are the issues ? Thanks !

@X-ParrotCommuni - thanks, seems  a bit complex ;-)

julianp
Master navigator

Hi. You'll find the Android version of QGC in Google Play store on your phone/tablet.

Info from: http://qgroundcontrol.org/downloads

Hope it helps.

I've also come across another pro software for autonomous flights, UgCS at  ugcs.com, however, the free version has limitations.

J.

Retired contributor

Hi @webvan,
QGroundControl is a PC open-source software. As far as we know there is no Android version of this software. Another software Paparazzi was used before, at it is third party software we have little information about how it works. Here is a link to start digging : http://wiki.paparazziuav.org/wiki/About_the_AR_Drone_2.0 . Have fun !

Parrot Community Search the Knowledge Base before posting a new topic. Reach the Customer Service "Contact Us".
ParrotAdmin handle is used for community administration only, please don't PM this profile.

webvan
Senior Pilot

Would also be interested in getting better "GPS" functionality using my Android smartphone, right now I'm only seeing the "Home" button ? I remember that with the iPad you could get a map and set some waypoints (within WiFi range). I haven't even found QGroundcontrol for Android, do you have a link ? Thanks !

Rob827
Commander Pilot

AR Drone 2 will not work with Free Flight 3.

julianp
Master navigator

Nevertheless, has anyone tried using FreeFlight 3 on a AR Parrot 2?

I'm interested in an autonomous flight (outside the wifi range) software with multiple way points for AR Parrot 2 GPS. I know the QGroundControl software, but it only works on a Windows based machine. The Android version is still in beta testing and does not work properly.

Retired contributor

Hi,
FreeFlight 3 is designed for Minidrones and Bebop 1 & 2. For AR Drone 2.0 use AR.Freeflight 2.4.10 .

For Android devices, follow the link here : https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.parrot.freeflight&hl=en 

Parrot Community Search the Knowledge Base before posting a new topic. Reach the Customer Service "Contact Us".
ParrotAdmin handle is used for community administration only, please don't PM this profile.

julianp
Master navigator

FreeFlight 3 and Ar Parrot 2

Hi. Does AR Parrot v2 work with FreeFlight 3?

Julian