Island_Bob
Commander Pilot

Re: [Update] Firmware 4.3.1 for Bebop 2 - Bebop 2 Power

Sigh... If I explain the Doughnut hole can we please bring this thread back on topic? ie: the 4.3.1 Firmware update?

Bebops use MIMO technology for their wifi. MIMO uses two antennas, very slightly out of phase, to create an interference pattern of radio waves. This allows it to be more directional, and have a stronger signal at distance. 

Like dropping a pebble into a pond, the interference pattern of the radio waves propagate out from a (normally weak) central point to higher and lower signals in concentric circles. Mathematically it's called a Fourier Transform (see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fourier_transform for full details). At wifi frequencies, these highs and lows average out with distance to give you a stronger signal at distance - the whole point of MIMO technology.

As I said, the two signals are slightly out-of-phase with each other. By changing the phasing, it is definitely possible to modify the signal strength in the doughnut hole from very weak to very strong. I've got to wonder if Parrot didn't monkey with the MIMO phasing. That could  explain the short-range disconnects, pixelated FPV, and perhaps even the FPV lag 4.3.0 and 4.3.1 users are now experiencing.

Soooo... What else is fixed in 4.3.1? Anything? I'm not upgrading from 4.06 until Parrot gets it right, although at this point it seems there are more bugs in the 5.0.1 app than in the firmware...    Smiley Sad

paveld20
Senior Navigator

Hello.

I have a problem with Update 4.3.0. Live transmission is lagging, collapsing. Updated 4.3.1 Same problem. It is special that lagging starts after the start. When the engines stand, everything seems to be all right.

Samsung S7, Android 7, BB2 4.3.1, SC 1.0.6

poglad
Commander Pilot

dries_w wrote:

poglad wrote:

Not necessarily. The donut "hole" is actually an area of greatly attenuated signal. A tweak to the firmware might have had effect on whether the drop in signal was enough to trigger a disconnect/rth. Perhaps they've increased the number of retries while trying to maintain the connection...

I have to disagree, the antenna pattern is in the shape of a flat donut because of the dipole antenna in the frontlegs.In the middle there is less radio (WiFi) signal. Imo you can not change that by software codes :-)

Exactly, *less* signal not *no* signal. But hey, you're entitled to your opinion. 👍

poglad... he is so junior... so beginner...
squad
Master navigator

I just tried at 300 ft,  right above me and there was no disconnect. It is the same location I fly all the time.  The range is definitly better,  it has to do with the codes.  They are beaming at a wider spectrum have done something with the switching. 

dries_w
Commander Pilot

poglad wrote:

Not necessarily. The donut "hole" is actually an area of greatly attenuated signal. A tweak to the firmware might have had effect on whether the drop in signal was enough to trigger a disconnect/rth. Perhaps they've increased the number of retries while trying to maintain the connection...

I have to disagree, the antenna pattern is in the shape of a flat donut because of the dipole antenna in the frontlegs.In the middle there is less radio (WiFi) signal. Imo you can not change that by software codes :-)

"BB2 -iPhone 6S - Xiaomi WiFi extender- allways latest updates"
poglad
Commander Pilot

@dries_w Not necessarily. The donut "hole" is actually an area of greatly attenuated signal. A tweak to the firmware might have had effect on whether the drop in signal was enough to trigger a disconnect/rth. Perhaps they've increased the number of retries while trying to maintain the connection..

poglad... he is so junior... so beginner...
dries_w
Commander Pilot

@squad

Release notes are in the Knowledge Base, see link on top-site of the 'Bebop 2' page :-)

seventies1
Commander Pilot

dirk_1957 wrote:

Firsth fix is when hit the Landing button you can cancel the Landing by hitting the button again (even when hand Take Off)

Second and last point I dont know, I dont use POI's
Thirth fix: apperently there was a 'Low battery level Alert management' issue at low altitude

The issue's you mention are in FFpro and not in this FW update 

Yeah but it all worked under 4.2.1.   Thinking about it though, I have swapped to using my iPad 4 since the update to 4.3.  I will give a try with my iPhone tomorrow and see if the issue is still there.

squad
Master navigator

good catchMan Happy.. thanks for the link.. but it does not work.

I was trying to meniton the phone os as people always ask you.. 

dries_w
Commander Pilot

@squad

The FirmWare is installed on your BB2 and therefore not Andoid or iOS  :-)

Release notes: https://community.parrot.com/t5/Bebop-2-Knowledge-Base/Release-note/ta-p/73 

EDIT

The 'donut hole' you mention is a result from the antenna pattern of the BB2. This is not changed so can not be dissapeared.