YorkieB
Co-pilot

Re: Barometer mod (dirt easy) NEEDED on B1 to be stable

Haha.. :-) Now I will be paying extra attention looking for problems. Although no harm in doing your recommended fix (even if we haven't seen the sun here in Northern England for a long time!)....

enderffx
Commander Pilot

Actually the Bebop i treated today was a blue one :-)

Maybe it wasnt sunny enough :-)

j/k

I am pretty sure i could expose problems with your blue Bebop but as long as it does not feel bad to you it isnt bad !!!

Ender

YorkieB
Co-pilot

Ender, always value your advice. But no such problems with blue bebop. Not sure of this issue you have solved?
enderffx
Commander Pilot

Yes, the yello one is most affected, the red one least...

But you should invest those 5 minutes in every Bebop.

Ender

nicknack
Commander Pilot

I agree that the foam works best, especially for yellow noses, that are probably more transparent to light.

I have now included photos of my own Bebop foam mod in the revised "unofficial hacking guide" that can be of use to those who want to further understand what to do before grabbing their screwdrivers.

enderffx
Commander Pilot

Hi !

As said above, painting the inside black is a good start.

If you are satisfied afterwards your fine, i wasnt completely satisfied (comparing with my APM copters that had less sensors but better hovering).

After i added the foam i was very satisfied.

So if you are lazy first do the paintjob and you are already at 80% out of 100% improvement :-)

Ender

kupmipralke
Navigator

Is foam necessary to solve this problem? Can I just paint a nose of my bebop with a marker?

Highlighted
enderffx
Commander Pilot

Barometer mod (dirt easy) NEEDED on B1 to be stable

Hi !

This should be sticky...

Guys, whoever wants to fly (and not CRASH) his/her Bebop, you NEED to shield the Barometer against light.

(Yes light).

Easy experiment (on your OWN risk): fly low in direct sunlight, enter a trees shadow (make it a high tree).

Bebop will JUMP up for 1m-3m.

Also if you are in free air and you accellerate the angle will change thus the light influx on the Baro will change: drastic drop/rise in ALtitude while doing hard accelleration (also backwash plays a role).

Fix:

Unscrew the two screws that hold the "nose", carefull lift it up (held by doublesided tape).

Paint the inner part of the nose (at least the area approximately covering the GPS) with permanent marker. IF you use paint (spray can or the like) better make sure it does not contain metallic particles as that would ruin your GPS fix.

THEN look for a small piece of black foam (may cut it 20 x 5 x 5 mm or bigger).

The foam should have open pores and should not be conductive (we are talking about 98%, i just want to make sure).

Stuff it in the small gap directly under the GPS Antenna where you can see the silvery Barometer chip (there is only one, having two holes).

It should not be too tight, we dont want to have it airtight...

Fix it with some electrical tape, AGAIN, plastic/rubber only, no metallic tape.

Try again and have a feeling like its abrandnew Bebop.

If things are worse may remove the foam and try less pressure or a different foam but i can only say that this NEVER failed for me (Having done this on 20+ Flightcontrollers and 10+ Bebops).

The 2 screws are here, directly at the end of the battery plate where the nose starts top/bottom:

top view of the 2 screws.

Here is a small arrow pionting at the gap below the GPS Antenna where the Baro chip sits on a small PCB.

This gap is where we want to stuff some black foam...

Red arrow showing towards the Gap below the GPS Antenna

This is how a typical Flightcontroller Baro chip looks:

Baro chip

Here is the link to the full post at DIYDrones:

Bebop Baro DIYDrones

Here is an link to Youtube where a guy shows the problem and shows the improvement aftre painting the nose. It shows the inside painted black if you are in doubt:

Paint your nose black and be happy :-)

I prefer to do both: foam & painting.. But its up to you ! It will be better in any case.

Again: this should be sticky and/or common knowledge. But thats not my decision  ( @X-ParrotCommuni, do you copy?).

Greetings,

Ender

P.S. the idea writing this came from another thread where a user complained about the jumpyness AND because i just did this mod for a guy today who was absolutely amazed about the effect.