5 REPLIES
Highlighted
Tim84
Master navigator

Re: FreeFlight - Altitude Above What?

mountkidd wrote:
(a)...

Perfect, makes more sense but always worth checking!

mountkidd
Commander Pilot
Solution

Tim84 wrote:

Another FF question if someone can advise please...

When I plot a route, will the Bebop:

(a) gradually gain height as it travels from altitude at WayPoint One (WP1) to reach the altitude at WayPoint Two (WP2)

(b) keep altitude of WP1 until it reaches WP2 at which point it will then rise to the WP2 altitude?

(a)...

Tim84
Master navigator

Another FF question if someone can advise please...

When I plot a route, will the Bebop:

(a) gradually gain height as it travels from altitude at WayPoint One (WP1) to reach the altitude at WayPoint Two (WP2)

(b) keep altitude of WP1 until it reaches WP2 at which point it will then rise to the WP2 altitude?

Tim84
Master navigator

Thank you foundobjectwind. I presumed it would be relative to take off point, so good to have that confirmed.

I want to fly over a valley, as you've mentioned, hence the question as if I go up ~40m and the valley is already ~100m high then I'll miss it! 

Until I can get my GPS working, however, the app is no good to me at all!

foundobjectwind
Commander Pilot
Solution

everything is relative to the takeoff point as far as I know.   You can fly lower than that if you take off from a hill, but only manually. Flight plan can only be programmed above the takeoff point.. and also the behavior of the bebop might be different if it thinks its close to the ground even when it isnt (like when I fly over a valley it might say '10 feet' but really be 100 feet above the ground).  RTH would still go to 20 meters above the takeoff point altitude   If you take off from a low spot, dont count on it climbing to avoid a hill. It doesnt work that way.

Tim84
Master navigator

FreeFlight - Altitude Above What?

Quick question - when plotting a route in FreeFlight is the 'altitude' the actual altitude above ground i.e. measured with sensors mid-flight, or is it altitude climbed above the take-off point i.e. the Bebop will rise by the 'altitude' set regardless as to whether the ground it is flying over is much lower than the take-off point?

Thank you!