Commander Pilot

Re: No GPS Version

BUMP, really no one ?!

:-(

enderffx
Commander Pilot

Hi !

Some guy who has got a lot of help and advice from me just gave me his damaged bebop as a gift.

So with all the spare parts i have left i managed to build a Bebop 1 again, so i am back in the business :-)

(usually using a Mavic but the Bee is still too much fun to miss).

I have a GPS board with the same problem and i can honestly say that its the BOARD and not the bebop...

(I have a working GOS board and 2 working Bebop boards so i tried swapping back and forth).

Here are the facts as i can see... I played with up & downgrading...

4.X & 3.X versions shows NO GPS version (empty string)
downgraded to 2.0.29 via editing version.txt and usung updater script

2.0.29 shows GPS version:
OPUS6_ROM_ES2_64P__ENP610F1229005R

update to 2.0.57 via USB Stick
2.0.57 shows GPS version:
OPUS6_ROM_ES2_64P__ENP610F1229005R

There is a "/@flasher" directory showing up.
(Later tried out to run, at first only errors but if i kill usbmode, dragonstart and dragon-pro processes it seems to run just fine, takes a few minute but changes nothing as far as i can see)

In the release notes it says for 2.0.57:
[GPS] GPS update during firmware update

So i expected that version to do its magic but it did NOT :-(

3.2.0 up to 4.0.6 show an empty GPS version :-(

The working GPS shows an info like OPUS7_FLASH_.....

So maybe the first GPS boards from Parrot were only ROM based, no way to flash them and make them work on 3.x or 4.x OR this is a strange defect in the boards.

Any ideas ?

@ParrotAdmin: is there something you could add to solve this ?

Greetings,

Ender

P.S. by the way: the "defective" board delivers the GPS position just fine, you can check using the output from /tmp/gps_nmea_out.

Ist just some commands are missing compared to the correctly flashed/updated/working GPS.

SO i assume Parrot decided to change the nmea settings to add mor einfo (sats, hdop, etc.. PP) but due to Hardware or Defect those GPS cannot be changed / uopdated and deliver outdated nmea code that is not recognized by Firmware 3.x and above

wedge07
Senior Navigator

I'd like to revive this thread.

Indications: in FFP there is nothing listed in GPS.  After 10 minutes or so outside it changes to "Try Internal Flash."

I've spent about 6 hours troubleshooting (left outside for 2 hours in clear sky conditions, hard reset the bebop, left outside for another 2 hours and lots of reading on this forum).  To no avail.  I still have a drone that will not lock on, so I can't use the Flight Plan program.

I can ftp into the drone but not sure what file (updater_payload.plf?) to put where (internal_000?) to reflash the drone.  

I've only had it a week (bought it refurb'd from Woot) but have really enjoyed it's other capabilities.  I would really like to use Flight Plan, though.  Otherwise it's a useless $20 expense.

Tim84
Master navigator

foundobjectwind wrote:

what steps did you take to reinstall the firmware?

(i think theres more to it than just putting the updater.plf back in again)

if you did the firmware right and the gps version still has an apparent error message..

i guess its safe to say there is a problem with the gps

I followed the (not very helpful) steps on the how to guide of this forum. It was lacking certain information e.g. how to tell when it had completed and when to remove the USB drive!

It seemed to go OK, rebooted iteself as per instructions. Still worked afterwards but same GPS issue i.e. no GPS version listed.

I gave up trying and sent the Bebop back to the retailer for a replacement as I only received it last week!

foundobjectwind
Commander Pilot

what steps did you take to reinstall the firmware?

(i think theres more to it than just putting the updater.plf back in again)

if you did the firmware right and the gps version still has an apparent error message..

i guess its safe to say there is a problem with the gps

Tim84
Master navigator

foundobjectwind wrote:

IDK if maybe the firmware upgrade didnt finish or something.  Could try re installing the firmware.   maybe. Im no expert there.

I just found a USB adapter and re-installed the firmware. So far it seems like the problem is still there as there is no information in the GPS Version.

I've left it outside to see what happens...

Tim84
Master navigator

Sounds like it might be easier to return the Bebop and get another one! 

foundobjectwind
Commander Pilot

IDK if maybe the firmware upgrade didnt finish or something.  Could try re installing the firmware.   maybe. Im no expert there.

foundobjectwind
Commander Pilot

I dont think your gps updated properly
Tim84
Master navigator

I'm trying to follow the Telnet commands from Thomas but I'm getting:

sh: can't open 'rcS_BLDC'

Does anyone know why this is?