31 REPLIES
Spuddnick66
Explorer

Re: [Update] Firmware 4.0.6 for Parrot Bebop drone

Has anyone else had issuse getting past 50% when tryimg to upload 4.0.6 to bebop 1. Ive tried reinstalling FFP then doing the update, still didn't work. Only thing i haven't done is a usb upload of the file. I dont have the proper cables or micro usb drive to do it. So if anyone has some advice please help

appleswarm
Co-pilot

Well, I just recently got two brand new Parrot 1200mah batteries.

I got around to testing flight time today.

The newest battery went down to 30% in a little over 6 minutes... then suddenly plunged  to critical in less than a minute with a total flight time of about 7 minutes.

The second brand new battery went down to around 50% in about 5 minutes, then suddenly went down rapidly to about 15% and dropped slowly from there for several minutes before going critical for a total flight time of about 8 minutes.

The bebop is flying smoothly and the flights were conservative, with no high speeds or flips or anything and not recording video.

This is yet a far cry from the original firmware it seems where I have numerous videos of flights over 10 minutes long with Parrot 1200mah batteries.

Maybe the batteries were in a hot warehouse too long ?  IDK.

The sellers didnt say they were anything but brand new Parrot supplied batteries. 

part #PF970083AA

Not that I am really disappointed about this because I have gotten used to flights being shorter and have noticed improvements with things like wifi connectivity and some stability issues and I love the newer firmware features of progressive course and banked turns, etc.

appleswarm
Co-pilot

OK. this thread is for firmware only.

I've flown several times with this firmware and have not noticed any major issues.

I'm still unsure about battery life issues others have mentioned, but do not think I get the battery life of the original firmware from several years ago.. there was a major update around the time bebop 2 came out that signifigantly shortened flight times (the first flight disasterously so, it was unexpected at the time :-( ) and I have not seen evidence of longer flights since.

Well, I noticed behavior difference when "air braking" with this new version?
It was spooky at first, because it almost sounds like the engines cut off completely for a second! ... but actually the braking is far smoother than it was on earlier versions, it seems. I remember having issues with unstable "braking" after fast horizontal travel, on v3.3.0
The bebop seems to fight itself less now while stopping, and allow itself to coast some. It seems improved.

There were a couple of incidents where I got sudden unexpected rotation of the bebop, while descending closer to the ground. A glitch in bottom cam coming back on line?
A few times when descending past ~40 or 50 feet the bebop has "shaken it's head" back and forth causing slight "instability" but nothing too severe.

Then Yesterday I was descending fast towards the landing pad and the bebop suddenly rotated nearly 90 degrees! while about 2 meters over the pad.. whether by chance or intent the bebop lined itself up perfectly with the white "X" on the landing pad for an instant, then the rotation snapped back around to the original compass heading I had been descending at.

maybe i have a loose wire on the bottom cam i will check

appleswarm
Co-pilot

Update from 3.3.0 to 4.0.6 questions/comments

Questions:  

A) Can I no longer get flight data display in the ipad app?  Now when I request flight data display, it asks for parrot cloud login.  For a while it just showed the data. I dont always have internet. So I can't tell you how much time the flight was on a brand new stock parrot 1200mah battery yet.

B) why does flight plan map show a time of 319780 minutes, 50 seconds for a 5 minute 42 second flight plan?   The timeline shows 5min 42sec but the map view with the "Play" button reports over 319000 minutes.  Three hundred and ninteen thousand minutes.

Comments:

A)  Shouldn't a "Flat Trim" be done always before a "Calibration"?   I always do it that way myself.. but when I reset the Bebop settings it always pops up a "cookie monster" toast telling me to "Calibrate".  I usually abort, do a "Flat Trim" and then calibrate.  Otherwise, how does the bebop know "Trim" during "Calibration"?  Does it assume the reset/power up was on a flat level surface?    This could be confusing...

B) I'm still unhappy there is no option anymore for the motor stop (Emergency) button. My first flight today in fact I flew up with an old battery to get wifi radar data and a decent gps fix and the old battery went critical fast. I was unable to fly back over the clear landing pad with the weak battery during landing and the bebop fouled its propellers in tall grass. (before it went into a thornbush)  I wanted to hit "emergency" then the bebop would have simply dropped gently into the tall grass. I need new propellers now. Parrot just ruined one more. :-(  I'm lucky this didnt rip the little wires in the motor. They are exposed in the bebop motor design.

C) I got one good flight in with the (new) 4.0.6.  I noticed the bebop seemed a little unstable when slowing down but I havent had a chance to tweak the pitch speeds, etc.  Have not tried flight plan because the 319000 minutes scares me... like there is some hidden waypoint thousands of miles away.  Took dng pictures.. which by the way still will not download to an ipad via Free Flight without using an FTP application and enabling the bebop telnet/ftp server.    After I ftp them I open them in a raw photo editor app with all the import picture filters turned off to get true raw data.   Had to buy two more apps in addition to Free Flight Pro (which I bought the essential flight plan map screen for).

yushih26
Navigator

I upgraded to 4.0.6 version, hover becomes very bad, before and after has been wavering, what is the solution?

Operation Smartphone: Apple Phone7

theonecraw
Senior Navigator

hathdert wrote:

One very important thing to every LI-PO Battery: ALWAYS DO A BATTERY CYCLYING every 15/20 flights, this will ensure perfect battery measure and avoids % drops.

Just discharge battery until 0% with drone turned on without fly ( or 4% flying if you want) and full charge after.

Sorry for my english, its not my main language.

I have now cycled all four stock batteries and now getting flight times of between 8 and 9 minutes (in windy conditions) using latest firmware. Happy!

hathdert
Senior Pilot

One very important thing to every LI-PO Battery: ALWAYS DO A BATTERY CYCLYING every 15/20 flights, this will ensure perfect battery measure and avoids % drops.

Just discharge battery until 0% with drone turned on without fly ( or 4% flying if you want) and full charge after.

Sorry for my english, its not my main language.

Leivotech
Senior Navigator

I think we all should take a peek at the telemetry data. If the voltage is dropping rapidly under the first seconds, it's usually a bad cell or charger that causes the problems.

Hathdert's example is what we should expect.

hathdert wrote:

Updated to fw 4.0.6

BB1 & SC, SkyRC IMAX B6 AC v2 & YX charging plate.
Fluffkat
Master navigator

Thank you for the update/bug fix; My hover time has increased from 7min 10 to 10:30 on stock batteries! I have only owned the Bebop for 2 weeks (bought bb1 with sky controller) and have to say, what a really good little robot! The sky controller is absolutely brilliant too. Thank you for continuing to support the devices.

jjeffery
Master navigator

Just a word of warning,  on my third flight with the new 4.0.6 firmware, I had I believe it said engine cutout error or something like that.  Bottom line my drone dropped out of the sky at 33.0 meters with about 20% battery still remaining.    No tree or birds present I managed to find it and got the video feed which cuts out just as its about to drop out of the sky.  Visually it looks ok but havent tried another flight since.   Not sure why maybe it has nothing to do with new firmware,  just be cautious.