10 REPLIES
Blueliner31
Commander Pilot

Re: [Update] Firmware 1.3.0 for Parrot Disco

This is normal. The elevon are only activated after takeoff.

Bebop 2 & Disco SKC 1 & 2, Samsung galaxy tab S2 & S7 edge 

duong2179
Navigator

Hi, I just bought a Disco and have not been familiar with it. Today I just wanted to test the wings before piloting my Disco. I first connected Skycontroller 2 to the Disco, waited until th led turned green, then pressed Take Off. While holding the Disco on my hands I tried pressing Turn Left and Turn Right but did not see wings move. Are there any problems or it was designed to do as such?

Retired contributor

Hi all,
A new firmware update is available. You can see the dedicated topic for more details. Thank you.

Parrot Community Search the Knowledge Base before posting a new topic. Reach the Customer Service "Contact Us".
ParrotAdmin handle is used for community administration only, please don't PM this profile.

jordanduncan
Senior Pilot

It's been two months since this issue was reported by me, and longer as previosly reported in other forums.  Parrot, is this not important enough to work on a fix, or at least communicate an official response to your customers on a possible time frame?

Since I posted, other users have mentioned it as well - it is a PROBLEM with the Disco's Autopilot Software.

jordanduncan
Senior Pilot

Thank you @Blueliner31, it's great to know this issue is being worked on. 

Blueliner31
Commander Pilot

I think this is related to a flight control instability that has been reported a while ago. The result of this instability can be rapid variation of the engine power, and altitude, and can result to those 360° patterns. The Disco can't simply reach the commanded altitude and keep oscillating above and below. The information from Parrot is that the bug has been identified and is being corrected. As always, it's quite complex to fix, impacting the flight control laws. Not sure when the fix will be implemented.

I posted a description of the issue on the French Forum: https://community.parrot.com/t5/Parrot-Disco/Oscillation/m-p/163513

Bebop 2 & Disco SKC 1 & 2, Samsung galaxy tab S2 & S7 edge 

jordanduncan
Senior Pilot

I encountered an issue today with an issue that I don't think is isloated to version 1.3.  While executing an automated flight plan, my Disco encountered some unstable air (thermal or wind) while trying to reach a waypoint.  The result, endless 360 circles about a mile from our takeoff / landing point - it was not continuing to the next waypoint.

All thanks to my 3rd Party GPS tracker I installed, I saw that it was not returning home, rather circling over a car dealership nearby.  I ended up traveling to a location where I could regain control of the aircraft using the SK2, and using the RTH button took manual control and landed with 14% battery left.  Parrot if you filter this because I am mentioning my tracker again, you are doing a disservice to your Disco customers.

I understand the circles are intenionally programmed to make sure the Disco will reach a specific altitude prior to reaching it's next waypoint (so I have been told), but this could prove catastrophic IMO if the condition it's trying to meet cannot be satisfied.  Without my tracker, 100% I would have lost my Disco, unless it miraculously escaped the predicament it was in without my intervention. 

Parrot, if you are reading posts, 1.3.1 or higher needs to have some sort of logic added, which will allow the Disco to escape a circle situation and allow it to continue to the next waypoint.  For instance, if the next waypoint is lower, continue after a preset time trying to satisfy the requirements, or if it's a higher waypoint, return to home, abandon the effort to be perfect and climb and continue to the next waypoint, or some other behavior (so you don't collide with an object).  I am posting this so Parrot can find a way to make future software updates more reliable.

Otherwise, 1.2.x and 1.3 have been solid with autonomous flight IMO.

GabbyParrot
Commander Pilot

I also encountered the same issue over the weekend.  I believe it may be a download server issue and will be rectified very quickly.  The Disco flies beautifully under the current firmware and will not cause any issues.  Give them a couple days and try again.

Update:  Download working fine now.  Was able to download 1.3.0 effortlessly. (02/27/2017 at 12:45 pm.)

ttomsu
Master Observer

My Disco shows it has the current firmware, but it is 1.2.1. It will not update to 1.3.0. Has 1.3.0 been released?

Blackhat
Senior Navigator

Hi Jeremie,

Could you provide more details on the release note? RC calibration means what? Power calibration, calibration of the controller, sensors, servos?

Also since you have gone up from 1.2.1 to 1.3.0 there must be more changes than these three? I understand that during the rush of development, writing release notes is the last priority. I also understand the natural desire to maintain secrecy with respect to issues found and fixed. However this is the customer's only visibility on the development and it increases my confidence to see the log of actual issues found and fixed. It's also reassuring to see this product continues under active development.  So please, give us a few more details!

Thank you.