13 REPLIES
job2310
Master Observer

Re: [Update] Firmware 1.4.1 for Parrot Disco

Is there currently an issue with the update servers?  We're seeing "Update Server Failure" when trying to download 1.4.1 via the FreeFlight Pro app.

UPDATE: Working now...thanks.

Farmer
Navigator

Today's result with windspeed around 7 m/s: several perfect landings, the disco seems to handle straight landings in a bit more windy conditions better.

Greets

Farmer
Navigator

My little feedback to 1.4.1

First flight, great weather, just a little wind: After pressing the landing button, the drone comes  down in a straight line, like expected...then no aerobreaking, going like a spear in the fields. After that the drone was beeping due to motor interruption...that means no aerobreaking and motor still running while hitting the ground. That did not happen with the version before.

next two landings were like expected, but harder (faster) than in previous version, resulting in green grassy stripes on the lense cover and cut grass in the wings.

so, as far as i can tell by now, landing is worse than in previous version.

Greets 

Blueliner31
Commander Pilot

I've tested again a very simple flight plan with linear landing. This time I had flare at about 3/4 meters high, a little high to my taste, but the landing was OK, and very precise from a location stand-point.  The trajectory is also interesting, with a good alignement with the wind, but not exactly on the programmed path.

Bebop 2 & Disco SKC 1 & 2, Samsung galaxy tab S2 & S7 edge 

stretch1100
Navigator

There's no flare at all on 1.4.1.It gets grass and other things stuck between the wings it comes in so hard. Just tested doing two linear landing flight plans.

Blueliner31
Commander Pilot

We'll need more test to validate. You are right, there was definatelly a component of tail wing. The ground speed is higher than air speed. So, that may be the reason. That may be the reason.

jordanduncan
Senior Pilot

@Blueliner31 That's disappointing news regarding the landing flare.  With 1.2.x I actually thought the landing was much improved.  Did you have the same issue with the 1.2.x version of code?  The initial 1.0.5 destroyed my first Disco with a high speed lawn dart style landing...  future releases seemed to fix that issue though.

Was your landing pointed into the wind?  That seems to make a big difference for flare.

The 360 before landing seems to be an adjustment for lining up on the exact waypoint location and altitude before landing.  It does give you a slight scare when you expect a descent and you see a turn Smiley Happy

We have found that dropping a few waypoints around the field before landing seems to help produce consistent landings.  It also gives you some time to abort the flight plan to make a manual landing attempt.  My crash happened after I dropped from 300 feet straight into a landing sequence - it pointed towards the ground and never flared, bounced back up into the air about 50 feet and crashed into a metal fence.  Adding extra waypoints at the landing altitude seemed to result in consistent flared landings, perhaps allowing the Disco to reach the proper speed etc.  Anyway, I hope that we didn't go backwards with 1,4.1 with landings.

Thanks for sharing!

Blueliner31
Commander Pilot

Just ran a quick test, with flight plan and linear landing.

We have now the option to activate RTH during a flight plan execution.

I still have a loiter just before to start the linear landing trajectory. No big deal, but I still don't understand the reason.

Now a clear indication on the screen informs the pilot that the Disco is in landing mode.  The only way to abort the sequence will be to press the landing/takeoff button (like before).

However, still no flare at landing. The camera won't survive on rocky field. This video shows a manual landing. The Disco touch the ground with more than 5° pitch down at about 50 km/h. Not acceptable.

stretch1100
Navigator

Thanks for clearing that up I let the Parrot Facebook group know Flight Plan will still work as before.

GabbyParrot
Commander Pilot
Solution

ParrotCommunity wrote:

Hi all,
A new firmware is released for the Parrot Disco. Version 1.4.1 is available via FreeFlight Pro (Menu, check for Updates).
Geofence limits are applied to Flight Plan: if you activate the Geofencing and you plan a waypoint of the limits a notification appears to set the waypoint inside the limits. If the Geofencing is off the behavior of Flight Plan remains the same as before. About Flight Plan, waypoints validation have been improved. using freeFlight Pro, you are now able to initiate a Return To Home is the settings is activated.
Home location is updated continuously until the moment of the takeoff.
If you have any questions or feedback, don't forget to specify the model of device used, the OS version and to share details about the use. Thank you.

Everything is just fine.