FAQ: Parrot Pot

General

Click here to go to FAQ/Flower Power application.

Which colours and sizes are available for the Parrot Pot?

Parrot Pot is available in slate black, porcelain white and brick red.

The Parrot Pot is available in one size: 12.28 in/31.2 cm high with a diameter of 8.07 in/20.5 cm.

What is the capacity of the Parrot Pot?

Parrot Pot can contain 2.4 litres of soil.

We recommend choosing a plant with a diameter of a lump of earth of approximately 6.30 in/16 cm.

Caution: a plant that is too tall could topple the Parrot Pot.

What are the precautions of using the Parrot Pot?

Follow these instructions to avoid damaging your Parrot Pot:

• Do not let it drop.
  • Only pour water in the water tank (no fertilizer or other liquid).
  • Do not submerge the electronic parts of the Parrot Pot in water.
  • Do not leave it outside if the temperature drops below 23 F/-5°C and the water tank is full. If the temperature drops under 32 F/0°C, empty the water tank or bring the Parrot Pot inside.

Which plant for my Parrot Pot

How do I choose the plant most suitable for my environment?

Download the Parrot Flower Power app. and go to Menu  icone_menu.png  > Suggestion. The Suggestion option offers a list of plants according to the criteria selected.

suggest.jpg

What is the recommended plant size for my Parrot Pot?

We recommend choosing a plant with a diameter of a lump of earth of approximately 6.30 in/16 cm.

Caution: a plant that is too tall may cause the Parrot Pot to topple.

Can I use the Parrot Pot for orchids?

No. Orchid-type plants do not grow in compost but in a specific media that does not hold water. Parrot Pot is not adapted for orchids.

Can I use the Parrot Pot for bonsai trees?

No. Bonsai trees grow in small, specific pots, therefore are not adapted to the Parrot Pot format. If you place a bonsai tree in a Parrot Pot, it is likely to grow as it will have too much space for its roots.

How many plants can I put in my Parrot Pot?

We recommend placing only one plant per Parrot Pot for optimal watering.

Using the Parrot Pot

What are the minimum and maximum temperatures of the Parrot Pot?

The sensors can withstand temperatures ranging from 23 F/-5°C to 131 F/+55°C.

The automatic watering will only function between 23 F/-5°C and 131 F/+55°C.

Can I leave the Parrot Pot outside all year round?

You can leave the Parrot Pot outside as long as the temperature does not drop below freezing point, as frost may cause damages to the electronics. We recommend bringing in your Parrot Pot during periods of frost, or just empty the water tank if you want to leave it out.

What happens if it freezes when there is water in my Parrot Pot water tank?

If you leave the Parrot Pot outside with a full water tank during freezing periods (below 23 F/-5°C), the water will freeze. Freezing water (ice) increases in volume, which in turn could damage your Parrot Pot and cause breakage and leaks.

What is the operating life of the Parrot Pot?

On a fresh set of batteries, the operating life of the Parrot Pot is approximately one year. However, battery life varies depending on the plant and number of watering carried out.

How do I know when to change my Parrot Pot's batteries?

When the battery level of the Parrot Pot is low, the warning light flashes red. You may also download the Parrot Flower Power mobile app. to ascertain the precise battery level of your Parrot Pot. Moreover, you will receive a notification from the app. as soon as the battery level is down to 10%.

Is the battery compartment waterproof?

Yes, Parrot Pot is compliant with IPX5 standard. Under normal usage, including outside and in the rain, water will not come in contact with the battery compartment.

Is there a risk of algal growth in the water tank?

Yes, depending on the temperature and environment of the plant, algae growth is possible. However, the Parrot Pot is designed to be easily cleaned, so as to prevent algal bloom from happening.

You can also replace the pump if it no longer functions. You can order it as a spare part at www.parrot.com/usa/support/.

Can I put clay pebbles in my Parrot Pot?

No, it is not advisable to put clay pebbles in the Parrot Pot. Parrot Pot is optimized for compost drainage, in addition to providing the plant with the right quantity of water via the Perfect Drop watering system.

Does it work with every type of soil?

We recommend using compost adapted to your plant.

Can I easily change the type of plant?

Yes, potting is very easy. If you do re-plant, make sure to use the water filter to avoid sullying the water and the pump.

I dropped lots of soil and the pump is clogged. What can I do?

You can dismantle the pump compartment and rinse the pump with water. You may replace the pump if it is still not working. You can order it as a spare part at www.parrot/usa/support/.

What's the use of the saucer?

The Parrot Pot saucer is used to evacuate excess water when the plant has directly been watered inside or in the event of rain outside.

If you water inside, do not forget to empty the saucer regularly to avoid overflowing.

If your Parrot Pot is outside, bear in mind that the saucer will overflow during heavy rain.

If compost is not compacted properly, the soil will not be as water-absorbent; consequently, when Parrot Pot waters the plant, rather than being absorbed into the compost, the water will run through the soil and deposit directly into the saucer. In this case, you will receive an alert from you application and via the warning light to test Parrot Pot and to contact the AS service if necessary.

We recommend that you empty the saucer regularly.

Can I use the Parrot Pot without the app.?

Yes, you may use Parrot Pot without the mobile app. As soon as it's installed, Parrot Pot will initiate the "default plant" parameters and automatically waters your plant; these parameters are suitable to water 80% of plants.

The warning light will advise you to water the plant or to change the batteries.

Can I use rechargeable batteries with the Parrot Pot?

Yes, but the battery life displayed in the Parrot Flower Power app may be incorrect. Essentially, rechargeable batteries have a discharge curve which varies from one model to another and which is different from standard batteries.

Warning light

The warning light of my Parrot Pot flashes. What must I do?

Refer to the following table:

chart.png

Watering

How do I fill the water tank?

To fill the water tank of your Parrot Pot, pour water into the water filter on the edge of the Parrot Pot. This removable, easily replaceable protection was designed to avoid sullying water with soil when potting your plant.

How can I make sure that the Parrot Pot watering system works optimally?

If the watering system of the Parrot Pot is damaged, the warning light will flash red rapidly. To test the watering system, use the Parrot Flower Power app. On the page of your plant, press Water.

autoWater.jpg

How do I know when to fill the water tank?

3 indicators telling you when to fill the water tank:

• The information appears in the app's plant page.
  • You receive an alert via the Parrot Flower Power app.
  • If you are not using the app., the warning light of the Parrot Pot flashes green.

How does the pot function if there is no water left in the water tank?

Parrot Pot is capable of detecting that the water tank is empty, and alerts the user via warning light and the app. Watering will resume when the tank is filled.

How long can I leave my plant in the Parrot Pot without having to refill the water tank?

The delay between two watering depends on the environment (temperature, sunlight) and the size of the plant. For example:

• A Yucca tree inside: 2 weeks to 1 month.
  • A well-exposed tomato plant in summer (in San Francisco or the South of France): 3 to 10 days.
  • An olive tree in full sunlight in the South of France: 5 to 15 days.

Watering methods

What different types of watering methods are available?

Parrot Pot has 4 different watering methods, the default mode is Perfect Drop.

Perfect Drop: Automatic watering system for the day-to-day growth of your plant.

Plant Sitter: Automatic watering system guaranteeing up to one month of autonomy while you're away. The growth of your plant will be slower if you choose the Plant Sitter mode instead of the Perfect Drop, although the time lapse between two refills will be approximately 50% longer. Either mode will keep your plant healthy.

Manual: Manual watering of your plant. The automatic watering of your plant will be deactivated.

Custom: Configuration of your plant's automatic watering parameters.

What is the recommended use for Plant Sitter?

The Plant Sitter watering mode is recommended for an absence of 10 days or more as long as the water tank is properly filled. Below 10 days, leave the plant in the Perfect Drop mode with a full tank will work just as well.

If Parrot Pot has been running in Perfect Drop mode for a few days, it is preferable to review its autonomy. We recommend filling the water tank completely before leaving and the application will update its autonomy. If the date indicated is earlier than your return date, select Plant Sitter watering mode instead.

Can I remotely monitor the watering of my plant during my vacation?

Yes, as long as you have a spare smartphone (your old model for instance) or tablet connected to the Internet and plugged in within range of your Parrot Pot. When launching the Parrot Flower Power application, use the same user account.

At a later stage, you can check your data in your account remotely in the Parrot Flower Power application.

The soil is dry but Parrot Pot only waters lightly. Is this normal?

The moisture sensor is placed deep below the soil to analyze the moisture rate of the soil precisely. Even if the surface feels dry, underneath it is actually sufficiently watered, thanks to the Perfect Drop and Plant Sitter intelligent watering systems. You can check the minimum recommended moisture rate and actual moisture rate in the graph:

grf.jpg

Maintenance of the Parrot Pot.

How do I clean my Parrot Pot?

1.   Remove the Parrot Pot from the water tank.

setingUp_1.png

2.   Unlock and remove the internal water tank from the external water tank.

clean.png

3.   Clean the Parrot Pot and the inside water tank with a slightly moistened cloth.

4.   Clean the water filter, the outside water tank and the saucer using a sponge and washing-up liquid or place them in the dishwasher. Do not clean other parts this way, as they contain electronic components.

5.   Make sure all parts are dry before reassembling the Parrot Pot.

What type of battery must I use for my Parrot Pot?

Use non-rechargeable AA 1.5V batteries for your Parrot Pot.

Can I change the batteries of my Parrot Pot?

Removing the batteries will erase all data not yet synchronized with the Parrot Flower Power application.  Make sure that you have synchronized your data at least once before changing batteries.

Click here to go to FAQ/Flower Power application.