3 REPLIES
Co-pilot

Re: Bebop SkyController Tablet?

ibantu wrote:

Thank you for helping!  If I use a 10.1" Chinese tablet, can it be used as a monitor only? Or does the tablet still have functionality with the drone when using the SC1?  I've learned that the tablet's wireless specs must have “Built-In 802.11a/b/g/n Wireless” in order to have both 2.4 & 5.0 wifi capability.  Also, the tablet must have Cell capability for GPS.  I'm assuming that these specifications are only needed if I want to fly the drone with the tablet only.  I do not wish to fly the drone with a tablet only.  Can I use the Chinese tablet (or any tablet for that matter) strictly as a monitor with the SC1 performing all of the GPS & both wifi frequencies functions? Is this how the tablets work when used with the SC1??? Thanks again.

1. You can use any tablet as monitor only (first SC connection with BB must be established and then you must open tablet's wifi and connect it to SC through FreeFlight app).

2. If it is a tablet with GPS and android 5.0 or newer it can be used as controller (in this case you can leave SC at home)

3. In both cases, FreeFlight app must be installed in the tablet.

4. Remember that if you go with option 1 (monitor) still you have the ability to use the tablet as controller (actually hit the co-pilot button in the app!)

5. You need wifi 802.11a/b/g/n in any case but all tablets have it.

6. Chinese means low cost to me, but I will advice for a known brand tablet!

Please tell me what firmwares you use for both SC and BB1 and also what FF version.

BB1 4.0.6, FFPro 4.3.6, Skycontroller 1 1.7.4 / Samsung TAB S & Xiaomi WiFi+
Explorer

Thank you for helping!  If I use a 10.1" Chinese tablet, can it be used as a monitor only? Or does the tablet still have functionality with the drone when using the SC1?  I've learned that the tablet's wireless specs must have “Built-In 802.11a/b/g/n Wireless” in order to have both 2.4 & 5.0 wifi capability.  Also, the tablet must have Cell capability for GPS.  I'm assuming that these specifications are only needed if I want to fly the drone with the tablet only.  I do not wish to fly the drone with a tablet only.  Can I use the Chinese tablet (or any tablet for that matter) strictly as a monitor with the SC1 performing all of the GPS & both wifi frequencies functions? Is this how the tablets work when used with the SC1??? Thanks again.

Co-pilot

[ Edited ]

Hi. Basically the quality of the video feed is 1280X720 at its best. So you just need a tablet that has this screen resolution, if you plan to use it as a monitor only. Any chinese android 5.0 or 6.0 tablet from 7'' to 10'' is OK.

On the other hand you may consider using the HDMI output of the SC and connect a real video monitor, but this will cost you more in money and weight.

BB1 4.0.6, FFPro 4.3.6, Skycontroller 1 1.7.4 / Samsung TAB S & Xiaomi WiFi+
Highlighted
Explorer

Bebop SkyController Tablet?

I'm new here but have read everything that I can find about the SkyController.  I own a bebop and have just purchased the SC1 for it.  I'm having trouble locating a list of tablets that work with the SC1 and Bebop.  I have an iPad 3 but don't know if it will work.  When I fly the Bebop directly from the iPad3  (not with the SC1) the video won't keep up.  I was looking at buying an iPad mini 3 (unlocked) or one of the Chinese Android 10.1" 8 core tablets.  I want to dedicate it to the SC as a video monitor.  I may be wrong, but the SC has it's own android system to fly the bebop and uses the tablet as a monitor only (I assume as it is never made clear what the relationship between the tablet & SC).  I have no other use for the tablet other than to attach it to the SC.  I need a simple solution to monitor FPV from the drone and would like as large a screen as possible.  Can somebdy please provide guidance w/out it costing a lot of money for a solution?