20 REPLIES
appleswarm
Co-pilot

Re: recalibrate Black Edition SkyController repeatedly

If the bebop is spinning, then the bebop magnetometer calibration is likely no good.  The controller doesnt have anything to do with that as far as I know... 

I usually only see a message to recalibrate if there was some sort of physical change in the metals or magnetic environment around the bebop or on the bebop. I dont use a skycontroller, though.

The bebop magnetometer is pretty sensitive.  Make sure there is no metal nearby when you calibrate, either large things like cars at a distance or small things like your phone up close...   avoid power equipment or anything with electromagnetic fields and stuff like speaker magnets..

You not only need to calibrate, but to do it properly.

I can make my bebop spin uncontrollably by doing a bad calibration on purpose, like by holding the ipad close to the 'usb connector' on the rear of rhe bebop when calibrating, or as I did once by removing one metal screw from a battery after calibrating.  Crazy!

I have had no problems since realizing how careful to be about this procedeure...

Just watch out for the rare X.9 solar flare, etc. we can't control those ;-)

skynet
Senior Pilot

It's me again. I have the old red skycontroller. It says recalibrate if you go into the menu. It takes just a few seconds. Here's the difference with mine. There's an icon on the app that shows up in the lower left side of the display when you connect. It's circular with a green pie slice at the top of it. There's a drone icon that shows up. If not calibrated the icon stays outside of the green pie slice but I've seen no difference in the flying. If  calibrated the icon more or less stays in the green if the controller is pointed at the drone.

TACHUBIA
Explorer

I have not flown my drone for  over two months as i presume by calibrating the controller you are actually doing something to the skycontroler to contribute to the drones safety and recurity when flying .To have to calibrate before every  flight indicates there is a technical fault with the App, Sky controller or drone as once you launch you have no idea if its still calibrated or not hardly an acceptable  situation. when you check it says recalibrate and turns green ..If its not needed why have it ?

Parott keep telling me the situation is resolved at the last update mine is not . I am about to try again with a technical request. 

skynet
Senior Pilot

I have the old red skycontroller and when I check it , it says recalibrate. I may be flying most of the time with it out of calibration but I've never had a problem with drone operation. The drone itself requires infrequent calibration.

TACHUBIA
Explorer

I have never flown my bebop indoors and this problem only started with the change to Freeflight pro .Every time you use the drone you need to calibrate and every time you prepare to fly again it says recalibrate . SO HOW DO I KNOW MY DRONE IS CALIBRATED WHEN FLYING ????

TACHUBIA
Explorer

I have exactly the same problem ever since the change from Freeflight 3 to Freeflight pro months ago  .i have reported it to customer service on three occasions ,provided information on which software i am using .Its like playing tennis back and forward it goes after a few messages "its been sent to technical support " . 

i am absolutly fed up with this i have not used my drone for many  weeks now as i can never tell if the controller is calibrated and when i check minutes after a calibration it again says calibrate in red .

Software drone  4.0.3 Controller 1.7.4 Freeflight pro 4.1.26   

Surely as there are others having the same problem there is a proper solution .Waving the controller around with an expensive tablet attached  is not ideal .Is there anyone out there who has had the dsame problem and solved it themselves because at the moment it seems its beyond the technical expertise of parrot . 

mountkidd
Commander Pilot

stel wrote:
...The repeated calibration issue happened both indoor and outdoor

The magnetics environment differs a great amount between outdoor and indoor, so it's no surprise that the SC FW can recognize this and ask you to redo the mag calibration.  This feature should be pushed down to the BB FW as well...

stel
Master navigator

My device is LG G4 running Android 6.0 Build Number MRA58K

Firmware of my Bebop 2 is 4.0.3

Freeflight pro version is 4.1.22

Skycontroller Black firmware version is 1.7.4

The repeated calibration issue happened both indoor and outdoor

ParrotAdmin wrote:

Hi,
in order to reproduce the case we need detailled informations.

• Model of the device used
  • OS version installed in the smartphone
  • Version of FreeFlight Pro
  • Firmware version installed in the Skycontroller
  • Academy / Parrot Cloud Username
  • Location where this occurs (indoor / outdoor)

Thank you.

Retired contributor

Hi,
in order to reproduce the case we need detailled informations.

• Model of the device used
  • OS version installed in the smartphone
  • Version of FreeFlight Pro
  • Firmware version installed in the Skycontroller
  • Academy / Parrot Cloud Username
  • Location where this occurs (indoor / outdoor)

Thank you.

Parrot Community Search the Knowledge Base before posting a new topic. Reach the Customer Service "Contact Us".
ParrotAdmin handle is used for community administration only, please don't PM this profile.

stel
Master navigator

@ParrotAdmin

Hi Parrot,

Do you have any update on this issue?